Iron & Steel
The Iron and steel Industry has significant impact on global environment. Producing steel requires the use of large quantities of energy and minerals, as well as vast mining and waste disposal areas. As a result, steel production generates significant amount of air pollutants, solid by-products and residues, as well as waste water sludge. The pollution can take many forms and impacts do not occur on a local area only but they could spread to regional or global scale, including through atmospheric pollution.
Air pollution from the steel sector is the result of emissions of particulate matter containing minerals (iron, iron oxide), metals (cadmium, lead, chromium, nickel, zinc, copper and arsenic) and other pollutants (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and sulphur dioxide).
Steel plants with electric arc furnace release dust containing heavy metals and some organic compounds. Steel industry is also a source of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions which is generated during iron and steel making operations, either as a result of the reaction of carbon (coke) with iron oxide in the blast furnace, or from a power plant producing electricity used in the production of steel. According to the International Iron and Steel Institute (IISI), integrated plants can emit between 1.6-2.4 tonnes of CO2 per tonne of steel produced, while electric arc furnace plants which only use iron scrap as raw material are responsible for the emission of approximate 0.7 tonnes of CO2 per tonne of steel produced.
In recognition of the negative environmental impact, GE3S facilitate the steel industry to adopt the introduction of efficient processes, pollution control systems and practices which can help to reduce emissions significantly.
GE3S team has assisted several clients to improve environmental and sustainability performance of their operations. Some of the study includes:
- To reduce the composite energy consumption
- To reduce Freshwater intensity
- To reduce total SO2 emissions
- To reduce dust emissions
- To reduce the Fume emissions
- To reduce Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD)
- GE3S team has conducted environmental monitoring for more than 200+ industries and recommended best practices to improve the environmental quality of working areas.
- GE3S team has carried industrial energy audits for various iron & steel industries and identify energy saving potential ranging from 5% to 20% based on their current practices. GE3S is working towards Zero Liquid Discharge Solution for various industries.
- GE3S has carried our several environmental studies including, environmental site assessment, Preliminary environmental review, environmental impact assessment, air dispersion modeling, noise modeling to secure environmental permitting from the regulatory bodies.
- OHS and industrial hygiene have been key services for ensuring the highest of standards for its staff.
- GE3S has design and install various desalination and RO based water and wastewater solutions to multiple industries in South-East Asia region.