Foundries are one of the best examples of resource efficiency and sustainability. Because castings implement the recycling concept almost completely.
Aluminum (Al), when present in high concentrations, has for long been recognized as a toxic agent to aquatic freshwater organisms,i.e. downstream industrial point sources of Al-rich process water. Today the environmental effects of aluminum are mainly a result of acidic precipitation; acidification of catchments leads to increased Al- concentrations in soil solution and freshwaters. Large parts of both the aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems are affected.
There are environmental impacts associated with each stage of aluminum production, from extraction to processing. The major environmental impact of refining and smelting is greenhouse gas emissions. These gases result from both the electrical consumption of smelters and the byproducts of processing. The greenhouse gases resulting from primary production include perfluorocarbons (PFC), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH), fluoride, sulfur dioxide (S02), and carbon dioxide (CO2). Of these gases, PFC’s resulting from the smelting process are the most potent. Primary aluminum production is the leading source of perfluorocarbon emissions in the major industries. PAH emissions result from the manufacture of anodes for smelters and during the electrolytic process. Sulfur dioxide and sodium fluoride are emitted from smelters and electrical plants. SO2 is one of the primary precursors of acid rain. CO2 emissions occur during smelting and result from the consumption of carbon anodes and from PFC emissions.
The atmospheric pollutants from primary aluminum production also produce acid rain when they mix with water vapor. Aluminum poses no danger of environmental toxicity when soil pH remains at or above 5.0, however acid rain lowers the pH of soil and forces aluminum into solution. This causes it to leach into the water supply where it can damage root systems and create acidified lakes. Due to its natural abundance, the amount of aluminum that enters the environment due to regular weather processes far exceeds anthropogenic contributions.
- GE3S team has conducted environmental monitoring for more than 200+ industries and recommended best practices to improve the environmental quality of working areas.
- GE3S team has carried industrial energy audits for various aluminum industries and identify energy saving potential ranging from 5% to 20% based on their current practices. GE3S is working towards Zero Liquid Discharge Solution for various industries.
- GE3S has carried our several environmental studies including, environmental site assessment, Preliminary environmental review, environmental impact assessment, air dispersion modeling, noise modeling to secure environmental permitting from the regulatory bodies.
- OHS and industrial hygiene have been key services for ensuring the highest of standards for its staff.
- GE3S has design and install various desalination and RO based water and wastewater solutions to multiple industries in South-East Asia region.